Dr. Alexander Hogertz, LL.M.
Certified Specialist for Copyright and Media Law
Certified Specialist for IT Law
Attorney-at-Law (New York)
Before Alex founded the firm, he worked several years with a leading IP and Media boutique and as a member of the IP/IT, media and entertainment practice group of a European law firm.
Prior to his legal studies, Alex attended an actors and directors school and later co-founded a business consultancy of which he became a managing partner. Alex studied in Konstanz, where he graduated (first state exam). He spent his legal training inter alia with the Department of Culture (Hamburg), Thalia Theater (Hamburg), Norddeutscher Rundfunk (public broadcasting station/Hamburg), Federal Foreign Office of Germany – German Embassy (New Delhi/India), as well as with national and international law firms in Hamburg focusing on intellectual property and media law.
Alex pursued his studies with a focus on intellectual property law at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York City (LL.M.). Moreover, he is admitted as attorney-at-law to the New York State Bar.
Alex advises his clients in German and English.
He is a member of the German Association of Intellectual Property (GRUR).
- “Rechtliche Rahmenbedingungen der Bewegtbildwerbung” (Legal Framework of online video advertising), Whitepaper issued by the Bundesverband Digitale Wirtschaft (2014).
- “Social Commerce”, seminar presented by the Bundesverband Digitale Wirtschaft (2013).
- “Internationales Marketing aus urheberrechtlicher Sicht” (International Marketing from a Copyright Perspective), published in USP – Magazine of the Marketing Club Berlin in 2012.
- “Die Rechtsstellung des Filmherstellers“ (The Legal Status of the Film Producer), published by Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft in an ongoing series of publications on media law, media production and media economy, at the same time: Dissertation at the Institute for Broadcasting Law at the University of Cologne.
- “Rechtliche Aspekte des Branded Entertainment“ (Legal Aspects of Branded Entertainment), in MORE THAN 30 SECONDS – a Handbook for Branded Entertainment (together with Jochen Voss), Dr. Martina Richter (Ed.), HMR International GmbH & Co. KG.
- ”Creative Efficiency – Branded Entertainment als Treiber der Markenkommunikation im Web“ (Creative Efficiency – Branded Entertainment as a Driver of Brand Communication on the Web), panel discussion in the context of a conference of a Bundesverband Digitale Wirtschaft: “Moving Images in the Internet.”
- “Urheberrecht in Digitalen Welten“ (Copyright in Digital Worlds), seminar presented by the Bundesverband Digitale Wirtschaft (2011).
- “The Legal Status of the Film Producer under U.S. and German Copyright Law,” Master Thesis, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York City.
- “Internet Image Rulings Interpreted,” article on recent court decisions in Germany addressing the issue whether the use of thumbnails on a Search Engine Result Page is permissible under German Copyright Law; Copyright World Magazine, December 2008.
- “Is there a bar for free? – The Bare Necessities of Music Right Clearance,” speech at the Rights Clearance Workshop 2007 in Vilnius, presented by the MEDIA DESK Lithuania and Erich Pommer Institut.
T: +49.30.2064 5 642 0
F: +49.30.2064 5 642 5